Homeopathy: The magic of small sugar balls
The term Homoeopathy is derived from two Greek words, 'homoios' which means l ike or of the same kind and 'pathos' means suffering. Homoeopathy is an alternative system of medicine, based on the nature's Law of Cure, namely 'Like cures Like'. The truth of this law was discovered by a German Scientist Dr. Samuel Hahnemann in 1796 and has been verified experimentally and clinically for 200 years. Homeopathy is the revolutionary, natural medical science.
Homoeopathy differs considerably from other systems of medicine in diagnostic and treatment procedures. It goes into the details of patient's history before starting the treatment. The procedure of Homoeopathy treatment is slow, but it is claimed to remove the disease/ disorders from its roots.
Homeopathy is gentle and effective system of medicine. The remedies are prepared from natural substances to precise standards and work by stimulating the body's own healing power. Homeopathic remedies, while being profoundly powerful when correctly prescribed, are highly diluted, and therefore utterly bereft of harmful side effects.
Homoeopathy is not limited to certain diseases but is universally applicable to all kinds of diseases. It offers long lasting to permanent cure, treating the disease from its roots, for most of the ailments. Undoubtedly, homoeopathy is the medicine of future.
From being considered a non-scientific last resort, homeopathy is now a preferred, system of medicine both in India and abroad. An indication of its popularity lies in the fact that German and American companies manufacture the best homeopathic medicines.
Homeopathy today enjoys wide acceptability, both here and abroad, because of its holistic and intrinsic values, the low cost of medication coupled with ease of administration and absence of toxic side effects. With the spiralling cost of allopathic treatment, a large number of people are beginning to prefer homeopathy, both for chronic as well as common ailments.
Homeopathic medicine is practiced worldwide, especially in the US, Europe & Asia. The homeopathic drugs make a multimillion-dollar industry today. Homeopathy is a Rs 630-crore market in India, growing at 25 per cent. Globally too, the alternative health market, including homeopathy, is an estimated Rs 85,000-crore market, growing at 25 per cent.
It has now been accepted as one of the National Systems of Medicine in India. Homeopathy is the third most popular method of treatment in India, after Allopathy and Ayurveda.
Homeopathy offers virtually the same opportunities as the other systems of medicine. At present there are nearly 186 homeopathic medical colleges in India. Approximately 35 are government colleges, rest are managed by private bodies. More are being added. And so are the areas of specialization within the field.
Homeopaths practice in most parts of the world. There are over 1,50,000 trained homeopaths in the country. Nearly 10,000 new ones add to this number every year.
Opportunities exist in the following areas:
- Government hospitals and dispensaries. The UPSC and the respective State Public Service Commissions conduct recruitment for these jobs.
- Private nursing homes and polyclinics
- Medical colleges, training institutions and medical councils recruit doctors for purposes of teaching and research.
- Individuals can set up private practice on their own
- Ministry of health and family planning under the Govt. of India or the respective state governments
- Pharmaceutical industries
In order to become a Homoeopathic medical practitioner, a formal medical education is mandatory. There are many Homoeopathic medical colleges in India, which offer Degree course in Homoeopathy viz. Bachelor of Homoeopathic Medicine and Surgery (B.H.M.S.), a 5 1/2 year course including a compulsory internship of 1 year duration and also Postgraduate course i.e. Doctor of Medicine in Homoeopathy [M.D. (Hom.)], a 3 year course including 1 year house job or equivalent thereof.
Those who have passed Higher Secondary Course (10+2) with Physics, Chemistry and Biology or equivalent subjects are eligible to apply for Degree course in Homoeopathy (B.H.M.S.). Generally, admission/selection for this course is made on the basis of an entrance exam/test conducted at state/national level. Those who have passed the Degree course in Homoeopathy (B.H.M.S.) are eligible to apply for the Postgraduate course in Homoeopathy.
In addition to the above-mentioned courses, Diploma course (D.H.M.S. - Diploma in Homoeopathic Medicine and Surgery, a 4 year course including a compulsory internship of 6 months) and Graded degree course (B.H.M.S. - Bachelor of Homoeopathic Medicine and Surgery, a 2 year course including a compulsory internship of 6 months) are also available in some of the colleges.
- Vinayaka Mission's Homoeopathic Medical College, Chennai
- Govt. Homoeopathic Medical College and Hospital, Chennai
- JSPS Govt. Homoeopathic Medical College, Hyderabad
- Guwahati University, Guwahati
- Govt. Homoeopathic Medical College, Bangalore
- National Homoeopathic Medical College, Lucknow
- State Lal Bahadur Shastri Homoeopathic Medical College and Hospital, Allahabad
- Calcutta Homoeopathic Medical College, Calcutta
- Nehru Homeopathic Medical College, New Delhi
- Smt. Chandaben Mohanbhai Patel Homeopathic Medical College, Mumbai.
- National Institute of Homoeopathy, Kolkatta
- Nehru Homoeopathic Medical College and Hospital, New Delhi
- Father Muller Homoeopathic Medical College, Karn ataka